Sunday, February 26, 2012

One hell of a weekend

Following Friday night, my body and I aren't exactly friends. I think I might have bronchitis.
That, however, doesn't stop me doing the things that I love to do: I played at Champs Action Bar on Saturday night. It's an okay venue; it honestly seems like the new SlipStream Sports bar. The layout isn't exactly conducive to live performances. The acoustics aren't the best, and the guys on the soundboard, well, they could have been a little more reactive. By my last song (and what a short set!) I could barely hear my own guitar. I tried to compensate by turning up the volume on my guitar, but then they turned the master down.
Yeah, I know, right?
Oh well, at least it was a great opportunity to show my new Spanish and flamenco influences. I sang a couple of covers, which I thought went really well, but it was the lightning-fast, blitzing hand action of Spanish triplets that was the real icing on the cake. Eyes were opened, and jaws dropped.
I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I can't wait for next Wednesday. I just hope that this time I play AFTER 9pm (before that, and you're playing to an empty bar; not fun).

Other than that, I spent three hours in the Drama Department playing and rehearsing our performance in late March. It's gonna be a lot of fun. Robynne's voice wasn't on form today, but I think if we get some more practice in she will really shine. The dancing is pretty great as well. I'm looking forward to it.

Until Wednesday, Dear Reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment